Did you know that we make special tools when we need them? Clearly, that is exactly what makes Local Locksmith able to do what other locksmiths can’t.
Why We Make Special Tools When We Need Them
One of our customers ordered their own locks from the internet. Obviously, this is a practice that could prove to be difficult for us. In this case, the customer’s locks were not standard. Moreover, this customer ordered their own profile cylinders/locks online for their security door.
Looking at the picture above, you will see that profile locks are different from conventional house locks. Profile locks are designed to be easy to rekey (rekeying is the process of changing the lock pins so a new key is used). But clearly, the customer’s internet locks, were not standard designs.
Unquestionably, I am not one to turn down a challenge. I took the locks (yes there were three that the customer bought), back to my workshop. First, I started thinking of a way to change the bitting pins. Obviously, the challenge was, that I could not use conventional rekeying techniques. This is because the tool called a plug follower must be pushed out through the back of the lock. It should be noted that since the lock had two backs, this was not possible.
A Special Tool Was Needed
Next, I examined the design of the lock. I discovered that the bottom of the keyway had a rectangular channel milled into it. Finally, I thought that if I put something into this channel to hold the top pins in place while I pushed the center plug back into place, I could make it work.
First, I started with a 1/2″ brass tube. Next, I cut a 1/8″ wide slot into it. Finally, I bent a piece of recycled windshield wiper spine into a 90 degree angle.
To test my new tool, I placed the plug follower into the cylinder and fitted the windshield wiper spine into the 1/8″ slot. Next, I pulled the spine down to hold the top pins in place. I removed the follower. Then I pushed the lock plug into the cylinder housing making certain to align the channel on the bottom of the plug fit over the spine. Finally, I rotated the plug to the proper position and remove the spine. IT WORKED.
We Make Locksmith Tools For Others Too
Along with making tools for our own use, we also help with locksmith tool development. There is a company called Original Lishi Tools. This company makes lock picks and readers that are the industry standard for many locksmiths all around the world. Moreover, these incredible tools have made the process of picking and decoding locks much easier. In addition, these awesome tools are treasured by their owners.
Without a doubt, we truly enjoy being a part of tool development that helps other locksmiths and help Original Lishi tools does just that. Unquestionably, we will continue to make our own tools when necessary as it will help us to serve our customers better.
We go the extra mile and do whatever is necessary to get the job done.
Call us today, you’ll be glad that you did.
Call Local Locksmith TODAY!
- We Do What Other Locksmiths Can’tSome locksmiths are not able to do everything necessary to satisfy their customers. Local Locksmith has a wide range of experience and expertise.
- Too Hot for You? Way Too Hot For Them!Undoubtedly, the summer months are a great time to get out and enjoy the outdoors but is it too hot for your furry friends.
- Starting Problems and Your New Bling RingSome folks really love to be fashionable. They dress in the latest fashions, have decorative cell phone cases and even put “bling” in their car.
- How do Transponder Keys WorkA chip key or technically called a transponder key, gets it’s name because of the electronic “chip” that is embedded into the key’s head
- It’s Buyer Beware For Online Keys and FobsWhile it may seem that there are advantages to buying keys on line, caveat emptor, let the buyer beware.
Read more helpful tips and how to information by visiting our blog page.